Monday, April 21, 2014

Commie Girl in the OC: Dated but Funny



Verso – that fine radical imprint – recently had a sale to commemorate the opening of its virtual storefront (I’m sure they had something before).  They had all their titles at fifty percent off.  I scanned thorough the titles and filled my cart.  Then I came to amazon to price compare and pare my cart and price compare.

I didn’t buy it through Verso.  I bought it through Amazon because they had it on clearance.  

Let me tell you, you should have to pay full price for this book.  Every letter is worth it. I mean, unless you start asking about what value really is, and then does value exist at all so either this book is worthless or priceless or both at the same time.  But if you start doing that you’re digressing.

Listen:

Let me tell you a little secret.  I bought this book because Schoenkopf is my Wonkette, pure and simple. I like here work now. 

I also like her work then.  The publication date here is 2008, and it looks like the books are repurposed essays from her time at an independent weekly covering Orange County and the rest of California from the late 90’s to 2008. So they’re a little dated: you might not have experience with the area: or the people: you might not have watched “The Real Housewives of Orange County”. 

That doesn’t matter. Schoenkopf has an amazingly engaging writing ‘voice’, and in these essays she is able to blend her personal experiences with larger issues with verve and ease that you don’t notice the transition.  The flow quickly – I finished the book in an evening.  Buy it. And read her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment