Sunday, March 17, 2019

ICE-9: Linkages, Path Dependency, and The Logic of Capitalism


I normally do not like it when writers use a personal scale to talk about the economics of countries. If you see that rhetorical move in the wild, you know that it is about to be used as an excuse as to why we have no policy that somehow takes care of a broad base of people but oddly can still funnel contracts to arms dealers and remove social obligations from society’s wealth winners. I’m going to talk not about a household with its simplification, but myself as an economic actor.
When I was a younger man, I had wanted to be a poet. I took the classes and studied the literature, but not too hard. I also wanted to go out with my friends and drink as much as I could almost every night and be told I was clever. I wanted that poet’s life. So, when I was close to graduating from undergrad, I applied to MFA programs so that I could continue that life. I only applied to four programs and did not get into any of them. I then sat around in the town I was trying to leave for a whole year and waited on the application cycle to come back around. This time, I told myself I was being smart and pragmatic and leveraging my skills for a future that was more certain than being a poet. I was going to get a master’s in literature. I know it sounds strange now, but at the time an MA in literature made sense from a pragmatic standpoint. This was in 2005, times were different.
I got into a program and was funded so that I could justify moving halfway across the country with me and my truck and my dog. I was about three months in when my anxiety was spiking, and I was not sure if I had made the right decision. I had spent a whole year waiting for the opportunity to redo the applications, to be accepted in somewhere and get out of the one town and now I was somewhere new and somehow all my problems were not solved. I just wanted to drop out. I wanted to get my dog and some of my books and just go somewhere. I was not sure where I wanted to go, but I had to go somewhere. The most concrete place I had thought about was going to the beach somewhere in Mexico.

But here is the problem with that. You cannot drop out. I had my truck, but that truck was registered in the old start. I had bank accounts, I had debt, I had old friends, I had new friends. I had known people in my past who had made this severing of the past, but once that severing was done, their social position was a step down, and they had to exist in society – new linkages were necessary. Even the most off the grid person who can make everything they need and never talk to another person still exists in the realm of social relations because of how property is designated in our country. You must be off the grid somewhere, such that you are either trespassing or on your own land which creates its own tax obligations. Now, these linkages are not necessarily bad, either those that bind us to corporations or the state or other people, but they are undeniable. Each choice we make that involves another body creates these linkages, so that every other future choice is brought forth in context of all the others that have happened in the past. We love the idea of a Tarzan or a Robinson Crusoe, but even these men were brought to their states through social interactions.
I talk about these personal linkages because reading in economic development has really shown me that these linkages are not just for one person that wants to drop out. One of my old thoughts was that if I were running a developing country, I would just repudiate the debt. This thought was spurred on by reading books like “Confessions of an Economic Hitman” where it seemed that so much of the work of the multilateral institutions was done in bad faith and saddled the developing countries with, at best, questionable infrastructure for hydroelectric power that displaced thousands of people. At worst, the funds from loans were siphoned off by corrupt rulers and spend on European riches. Either way, if a new government came in post-post-colonial and represented the will of the people, there would be a big debt overhang that hamstrings the government from investing in the people of the nation and instead facilitated the flow of resources outward so that any growth paid off the loans in the investor countries. Reading Yilmaz Akyüz’s essay “Internationalization of Finance and Changing Vulnerabilities in Emerging and Developing Economies” really showed me that the linkages that I found as an individual within the capitalistic system that bound me to the system even though I wanted to get away from it were persistent even at higher levels of analysis. A country cannot just say goodbye to the IMF or the world bank, but there is internal and external debt in internal and external currencies held both by people inside and outside the countries that make any kind of withdraw impossible. These linkages mean that trying to start a new slate is not just turning your back on the IMF but is a huge and seemingly impossible coordination problem with all your creditors and equity holders to make any kind of fair reconcilati0on with the past. And that whole thing is that we are talking about equitable distribution on claims of property while people inside the Developing Countries live in dollars a day – somehow their claims matter less, as we have seen with contemporary issues with Puerto Rico. On top of that these ownership claims are transferrable, as Akyüz does mention a contemporary issue with Argentinian debt, where a fund came and bought debt for pennies on the dollar and then sued Argentina in a court in New York and their claims were decided to be valid, so the vulture fund was able to claim possession of Argentinian assets abroad. In this case they were able to gain possession of a ship even though they were not the original claimant of the debt.
                What we see is that these linkages are strong and persistent and no matter what, you can not pull yourself away from them. The economic system has its own logic at every level, from the personal to the seeming sovereign. I’m not sure what is to be done. Akyüz suggests that “one of the key lessons of history of economic development us that successful policies are associated not with autarky or full integration into the global economy, but strategic integration seeking to use the opportunities that a broader economic space my offer,” all the while minimizing risks (55). An arms-length, circumspect relationship is probably a best-case option of what we can do. Full integration means that you give up control, but you cannot fully remove yourself from the relations and linkages as even a global economic hermit like North Korea has borders.
                I have long had a metaphor in my head about what capitalism is. It is such a totalizing force that you cannot imagine postmodernism without it, since it is the first world system that you cannot really think of something outside the world system. Even the development and collapse of the Soviet system happened in the context of capitalism, and if Marx is right, would not have developed without capitalism developing first. Where Marx seems to have been wrong was that Capitalism is malleable and changeable and flexible with the development of technology, but it subsumes all. In his novel “Cat’s Cradle,” Kurt Vonnegut posits the idea of a new substance, Ice-9. In the novel, water had normally only crystalized at our commonly known temperature of 32 degrees Fahrenheit because that was the only way that the molecule “knew” how to do. Substances crystalize because once energy is removed from a system, molecules find a way to order themselves based on their chemical properties and the surrounding conditions. A scientist in the book figures out a way to make water crystalize at a higher temperature. This is an incredible problem for the characters in the book, as once water “learns” a new way to crystalize, every crystal of the new substance is a seed crystal that once it touches more water, will teach the new molecules this crystal form and so on. All the water becomes Ice-9, and the world as we know it is destroyed. This is capitalism. Once in existence, it spreads broader and deeper until every breath you take is monetized – and there’s no escape.


Works Cited
Akyüz, Y. 2015. “Internationalization of finance and changing vulnerabilities in emerging and developing economies,” South Centre Research Papers 60.
Perkins, J. (2016). Confessions of an economic hit man. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler.
Vonnegut, K. (2010). Cat’s cradle. New York: Dial Press Trade Pbks.

No comments:

Post a Comment