Friday, June 19, 2015

Johnathan Crary's "24/7"

Twice while reading this book, I was asked how I was liking it.

The first time, I told the teller at the bank that it was a little theory heavy. I’m not sure if she knew what I was talking about, since she didn’t respond.

Then my wife asked, and then my narrative was already set in place.  I told her the same thing.

And I’m telling it here a third time. I was expecting a little hotter and brighter, but there are references to postmodern theorists that I am familiar with but haven’t read and other texts I’ve heard about and haven’t experienced. So it wasn’t what I was looking for, so I cannot detract from it too much for that. It is just another nail in the coffin of capitalism if we can ever get that squirmy beast to stay down.

You have nothing to lose but your chains, and a whole world to gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment