Saturday, August 25, 2018

Thoughts on "The Chapo Guide to Revolution"

My parents on their shelf when I was growing up that any number of Comedy books that were sitting

around and I picked up some of them when I was older and I read them but the problem with these

books when I picked up and read them was that they were really made for the moment. The one I

remember the most was his book called “real men don't eat quiche” which was essentially this

masculine Panic thing that must have happened sometime in the early 80s and was trying to

redefine what men were women coming into the workforce and more jittery quality of his push back

but they made it funny by having this is what real men are. It was of a time where the best thing you

really compare those to are these toys such as the GI Joe or the He-Man characters that kids could

buy and they were these all hyper masculine things to the similar movies - freaking Conan the

Barbarian whatever etcetera all the way through Top Gun to this is and is Backlash to femininity.


And this is all to say that is book I have in front of me the Chapo Guy to Revolution a Manifesto

against logic facts and Reason by the Chapo Trap House guys is a very much of that same sort of

demode book that does catch a Zeitgeist very well. I think the problem will be taking this book up and

looking at it into 5 or 10 years and looking back and asking what are these Guy saying because

references are all very current. If it was good it was fun to read I enjoyed it very much because it's

written towards me. I’m the audience. I'm younger, male, I'm on Twitter a lot though I don't listen to

the podcast which I think is a key part of the audience since you're going to have to spread out and

go hey here you read this book you don't want it to be just a small subset of the people who are

already listener's I don't know how big that audience is.



But even with that consideration the problem is that there's few too few people who know who

chapotraphouse is and if they do they have a preconceived notions about who they are and what

they stand for. The book can be for people who don’t know who Chapo is. I was reading book

laughing and smiling and the thing is my wife at ask me who is that ? My wife is smart same age

range but she's not on Twitter. She doesn't listen to podcasts specifically the trap house or anything

else so she is going to be this whole milieu.  The problem with the book itself is that it is a lot of inside

jokes but is not going to be expensive in terms of making the audience everyone else.


The book itself is fun to read is interesting is very quick read; the illustrations are interesting they're

good to look at the only work really well with the black and white.  The only real criticism of it would

be that it is more critical of existing culture that it is about laying A positive program For for what what

if you look like and not to be too critical of the Traphouse guy but it is it is in criticizing the book that I

kind of wish they'd written and not in the book they did write so the book they did write was

enjoyable.



If you are younger left wing I would say this is a book that you would read and you enjoy this is a text

for the revolution beyond the Bernard would have won Revolution the Chapo Revolution. Join it; be

part of it; be one of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment